Thursday, June 6, 2013

There Was Rapping at the Baccalaureate Service: Cultural Relevancy Part 2

A few weeks ago I foolishly allowed myself to get sucked into a social media debate about Christian Heavy Metal (and perhaps rock and roll at large).  One stance presented was that this genre of music was inherently evil.  Now, to be fair this spurned on by the member of a Christian Band who recently murdered his wife.   Frankly, I find the idea of a musical genre being the cause of this mans fall into evil ludicrous.  If, however, I were to entertain the idea, the next logical question is "Is metal (rock and roll) the only genre of music that is inherently evil?"  I the smart Alec that I am, I also wonder what happens with a metal song is covered in a completely different genre (Have you heard that lounge singer version of Down with the Sickness?)  But back to the real question, are other genres whose secular artist tend live on the sinful side (specifically rap/hip-hop) inherently evil?  Christian Rap has largely been considered a good thing by the evangelical community.  While I can't think of any rapper who was ever accused of worshiping Satin, I can literally think of 100 who have worshiped his toys (sex, drugs, greed) and have furthermore done so directly in there music.

Last Sunday was the Baccalaureate Service for the local community that I live and serve in.  During that service a student (think Em n' EM meets your youth group "all star") led those present in two worship songs that were his original rap songs.  One even had a simple chorus that the whole crowd was able to sing along to (like a praise and worship song...imagine that!)  I could question the motives of this man and I could critique his talents, but the important thing is this, his message through his music was Orthodox, Evangelical and Christ-Centered.  For this reason, I see it as true worship.

I think young people are absolutely wonderful at worshiping God with their talents, and we adults...we stink at it.  I believe that Worship is something you live, not just something we halfheartedly do for one hour a week.  Those high school Seniors believe that they can worship God by rapping, by sculpting, by painting, by drawing, by staring at nature...I say, they are absolutely right!

No comments:

Post a Comment