Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sanctification in this Life?

I fear that I cannot allow myself to simply answer the question, “is entire sanctification possible.”  I feel the answer to this question is only half the issue.  I also feel led to explore “fallout” that occurs in the “sanctification obsessed” culture of the holiness traditions. 

Is Sanctification Possible?
I find myself agreeing in an entire Sanctification as Wesley defines it.  I agree with Wesley that the entire Sanctification is a rarity, probably found only in those followers in the later stages of their life. I think these qualifiers are important to recognize.

Support in Scripture
The New Testament offers ample support for the notion of entire sanctification (Matthew 5:48, James 1:4, 1 John 5:18 to name a few).  Perfection in scripture relates more to the idea of complete, than flawless, and yet, we must carefully look at what it means to be complete.  To see what is meant by being complete as we were intended to be, I argue that we must look at the example of Christ.  In Jesus’ earthly ministry we see finitude, but we also see complete obedience, unconditional love, and yes- the absence of sin.  This is what it means to be complete in Christ, through the Holy Spirit. 

Real Examples
I think further evidence is granted when we see personal examples that exemplify, or at least closely reflect complete sanctification.  Historical figures such as Mother Teresa and Brother Lawrence fit the bill, but most Christians can probably identify personal examples, for me it is Paul, a retired pastor with zeal, abounding empathy, sage wisdom, and a complete lack of selfishness.  Paul astounds me on a regular basis. 

The Fallout of the Obsession
Though I believe that entire Sanctification in this lifetime is possible, I also think the obsession with it has been dangerous.  In holiness traditions Sanctification has been seen as a requirement for leadership roles rather than something obtained for only some Christians, and usually later in life.  As a 22 year old beginning the ordination process in the Church of the Nazarene I knew full well that I had better check the yes box asking about whether or not I was sanctified when applying for a provisional pastor’s license.  This not only cheapened the idea of Sanctification, it also encouraged works righteousness, rather than waiting to be transformed by God though grace (Galatians 5:5).  Even though I believe the complete sanctification is possible in this life, I think sanctification is better understood in the journey (with God as the driver) than in an obsession with the destination.  

No comments:

Post a Comment