Thursday, May 16, 2013

Why I Don't Want a Smart Phone

Last night I watched my wonderful wife, a women who just six months ago "never checked her facebook page," spend a substantial amount of time surfing facebook pages while complaining about how crappy the touch screen was.  It was at this time that I realized something; I never want a smart phone.  My reason for not wanting one are twofold:

1) I already waste too much time fiddling with social network sites.  I have no doubt that I would that guy spending hours a day on facebook and twitter (heck I might actually take the time to figure out pinterist...)

2) Finding the balance between being in full time ministry and being the husband and father God has called me to be is already a constant struggle.  Saying no to ministry is already hard, the last thing I need is limitless access to my work e-mail.  My inability to let a call go to voicemail is already a source of frustration for my wife.  I know she wouldn't want me to run to my phone very time I received an e-mail notification.

Please don't think that I am putting down my wife.  I am not necessarily even making fun of network marketing or smart phones.  My wife has a smart phone because both she and I are considering masters degrees and previously we had no internet at home (shocking I know).  We figured using a smart phone as a hot spot might make us less enslaved to technology and media (I don't want a cable package...sorry!).  It boils down to this, I don't want to embody the things about our culture that I find sad or annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment