Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas and Culture

19 Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. 20 When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. 21 When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law,[d] I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. 22 When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. 23 I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings. – 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

I recently got myself into a little bit of trouble for bashing Santa Claus…with a microphone in my hand.  I didn’t destroy the dreams of a mob of children by revealing to them that Santa isn’t real.  I’m not that crazy.  I simply bemoaned the fact that our communities Christmas parade is called the Santa Parade.  I may have actually said something like “we are not a big fan of Santa.”  Here’s the thing, the mom could get over my comment, but she was genuinely concerned that the church planned to destroy her son’s belief in Santa Claus.  Interesting isn’t it…I wonder if she is that concerned about whether or not the public school is going to destroy his belief in Jesus Christ, but I digress. 

Besides the obvious lesson, plan out carefully what you are going to say before you grab a hot mic, there is much more at play in this scenario.  A couple of months prior a member of are Christian Education committee expressed displeasure with our church’s participation in Halloween festivities (handing out candy the day of and throwing a trunk-or-treat the Wednesday before).  This is more than just can’t win scenario.  Two sides are at play here.  How is the church deal with the non-Christian customs of our culture?  This question really comes to a head at Christmas. 
I get just as upset at the competition Christ’s birth gets as the next Christian.  In spite of that, I need to remember that culture has always had an impact on the Christian Faith, and as our culture changes, so will the “average American Christian.”  I’m not saying that everything is fair game, but I am saying that much of what we hold dear is more cultural than Christian Core.  I am also saying that a combatant attitude never gets us anywhere.  I think the key is to bring Christ into culture more than it is to stand against culture. 

With this in mind, A Chrsitmas prayer:

“Holy LORD,


We come with joy to celebrate the birth of your son, who rescued us from the darkness of sin by making the cross a tree of life and light.  May our Christmas tree arrayed in splender remind us of the life-giving cross of Christ that we may always rejoice in the new life that shines in our hearts.  We ask this through Christ, our LORD.  Amen” - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment