Friday, May 30, 2014

A Theology of Grace.

"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.  Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you."  Ephesians 4:31-32

This morning I had to confess to God, I was ungracious and judgmental when the driver of a Lincoln MLK used a turn lane to zip around me and cut in front of me (without using his signal).  After throwing my hands in the air and grumbling some God placed a memory in my head.  Earlier this week I was guilty of my vary own (unintentional) bone head driving incident.  Ouch, busted.

I had been said that "We judge ourselves by our intentions, and others by there actions" (I do not know the origin of this saying, I heard it from Dr. Scott Cormode during a personal correspondence).  I think part of the issue is that, in our own eyes, our feelings and inconveniences are more important than the other person/people involved.

This morning God challenged me to try "to see the face of Christ" in all those I encounter (even those making my life "painful").  I think doing so makes grace and forgiveness a necessity in our daily lives.  That driver stopped being a "jerk" and started being a beloved child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment